estimate child support, free legal templates, pro se legal help, child support lawyers, free printable legal forms

estimate child support, free legal document template, your city lawyer
free printable legal forms, free downloadable legal forms, find legal forms

Parental Obligation - No longer in school

by Chad


I have a 17 year old daughter that is no longer attending an accredited school and currently (so I'm told) gets home schooled. How does this work with the support stipulation that the child needs to attend an accredited school? I believe that she has dropped out. Any help/advise would be appreciated.



You have a valid question, Chad. You are probably correct in your guess that your daughter has "dropped out" of school, hoping to skate through on the home-schooling line until she's 18 and can openly quit.

Home-schooling has become a great "catch all" excuse for anyone who doesn't want to attend. It's too bad and gives home-schooling in general a tarnished name, when in reality there are some parents who do a wonderful job of home-schooling.

Having said that, you state that you have a stipulation stating that your daughter must attend an "accredited school". The custodial parent has an obligation to provide you with proof of such - period. If they cannot or will not, they are in violation of their parental obligations and accountable for such.

Some kids don't have enough sense to stay in school and that's why parents are in charge. One parent is ignoring their duty to get this girl a high school education (the absolute minimum anyone can expect to function adequately in this society with).

Do your part to keep her in an accredited school. At least you will have done all you can when she comes whining to you later about no one wanting to hire a drop-out.

Comments for Parental Obligation - No longer in school

Click here to add your own comments

Thanks for the reply
by: Anonymous

Thanks so much,
Sorry for any confusion but I was under the impression that it stipulates in the support order (automatically through the state) that the child is to attend an accredited school. The state to which the support order is through is Michigan. I have contacted the Friend of the Court to ask for information pertaining to this situation and was informed that no matter what the order is in effect until she turns 18. I have researched many sites and found different answers for this question. It does not specifically state in the order the school is to be accredited. Its not that I don't pay for my daughter (or any of my children for that matter) I just feel cheated and concerned about her future. She says she plans on going to college, which I just don't understand. If she can't and won't stay in high school how is she going to perform in college?



Bottom line is that most schools that are "real schools" ARE accredited.

There is a lot of certification and documentation necessary to be able to provide home schooling. You don't just say "Oh, I'm home schooling now."

AND, 99.9% of people that home school do it WAAAY before the kids are in high school, not the last year or so. What would be the point? It's a cop-out.

You state you're concerned about her future and you should be! You're about to become (or probably are) the proud father of a high school dropout!

Why does she say she's going to college? Because talk is cheap. She'd like to do it, but without the work and preparation that's involved. Imagine that!

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Share Your Story.

state specific forms, legal documents by state

legal letter template, sample legal letters

child-support-lawyers, free child support calculator

DUI, DWI, OUI, drunk driving, best DUI lawyers

fix speeding ticket, beat speeding ticket, SIS, MIP, best traffic lawyers

XML RSSFollow Legal Self Help

follow us in feedly
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Subscribe with Bloglines

Bookmark and Share



Our FREE Legal Forms Legal Forms By State Sample Legal Letters Top 20 Legal Forms


Spanish Legal Forms Canadian Legal Forms UK British Legal Forms Australian Forms Scottish Legal Forms New Zealand Forms Legal Forms India


Prenuptial Agreement Marriage Certificates Cohabitation Partners Change Your Name Legal Separation Filing For Divorce Child Power of Attny Child Support Laws Child Support Lawyers Internet Child Safety Domestic Violence Assault and Battery Hidden Marital Assets


DUI Consequences DUI Fines/Penalties Best DUI Lawyers DUI DWI Classes Field Sobriety Tests DWI DUI Video Alcohol Calculator Minor In Possession MIP Expungement SR22 Insurance SIS / SES


Speeding Ticket FAQ Camera Issued Tickets Speed Trap Locations Suspended License Hardship License Reckless Driving Hit and Run


Bankruptcy Chapt 7 Bankrupcy Chapt 13 Credit Card Interest Credit Repair Loan Modification Financial Resources Identity Theft


Employment Apps Vacation Rental Forms Promissory Note Car Bill of Sale Our Home Business Incorporate Easily


Medical Malpractice Wrongful Death Slip and Fall Personal Injury Nursing Home Abuse Defective Medicine Defective Products Assault and Battery Mesothelioma Worker's Comp


Last Will Living Will Quitclaim Deed Power Of Attorney Revoke POA Elder Abuse


Legal Self Help Tips Legal Self Help Blog Find People Legal Self Help Books Self Defense Cases Men's Legal Resources Women's Resources Minor's Resources


Lawyer Jokes World's Best DUI Video Deal Or No Deal Wierd Kansas Laws Wierd Missouri Laws

Enjoy This Site?
Then why not use the button below, to add us to your favorite bookmarking service?

| Homepage | Contact Us | Link To Us | Privacy | About Us | Site Map | Advertising Disclosure |

Click Just Below For Easy "Copy and Paste" Link!

The choice of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely on advertisements.
The information on this website is in no way a substitute for specific, directed advice from a lawyer. Read Disclaimer

Return to top

Copyright© The Kansas City Lawyer